Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Leftovers

Apparently I am the person in the house with the responsibility of consuming the leftovers. It is usually two days after a meal and Michelle is opening the fridge. Our fridge resembles a recently-stocked refrigerated section at a grocery store. It is bulging. You'd think we were depression babies with the food stores we have. Anyways, Michelle is looking in and then I get the call: "You didn't eat the last of the cranberry sauce!" I reply that that is true, that I had indeed not eaten cranberry sauce. I imagine what it would be like to eat cranberry sauce as if it were a dish and not a condiment and we laugh at that. Our friend Matt had brought that to work as a lunch one day and we laughed at it then as well. Now today, Michelle opens the fridge and says: "If you are going to snack, make sure you eat the humus. And there is salad too from last night." While she was up on treadmill, I had a little snack: an old banana (trying not to be wasteful) and some pita chip crumbs. I did not have any humus or any salad. Needless to say, Michelle was quite disappointed in me for this. She pointed out my snacking error and then even referenced the fact that I'm always complaining about not having dips. She said that for all my bellyaching regarding dip, I should really have snacked that humus.

I think at the end of the day I feel a lot of pressure regarding my role as sole leftover eater. I don't want to be wasteful but sometimes it is hard to take care of all the little left over items from the days before.

Anyways, I tossed the cranberry sauce and saved the humus. I guess I'll have to use pretzels now that I ate the last of the pita chips.

1 comment:

  1. You come by your "love of the leftover" honestly! Consider your father!

    ReplyDelete