Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bento-Style Lunch Box


I have often complained that I don't have cool lunch gear, that I look like a bum entering the office with my leather bag, long coat and scarf and then: plastic grocery bag bulging with awkward-sized lunch materials. For this reason, Michelle bought for me for Christmas a really cool Bento-style lunch box by "Laptop Lunches." I was especially excited to see that this product was made in Santa Cruz, California, where I had lived for seven years.
I enjoy this product; it provides compact design with built-in portion control. All these are great things. However, I have one major issue with this product. There is exactly zero extra space in that box and I mean zero. We first attempted to replace one of the containers with a pudding cup but soon realized that the box would not close with the cup inside (even though it looked real close). Then, today, we had "carnitas" and Michelle tried to put a tortilla on top of the containers. A tortilla. The world's flattest food. And the box would not close! We were so sad. I understand that the goal of the design is optimum space usage. However, leaving three quarters of an inch wouldn't have ruined the sleek look of the thing.
Good thing I'm a clean eater because at this point I doubt that a napkin would even fit in that box!
All that said, I love the product. I love that I'm cutting down on waste and limiting myself to a legitimate serving of food. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Checked out the bento-style lunch box site and was very impressed with the photo gallery full of wonderful looking foods that fit in the box! .....except for the strange combination of an artichoke, two slices of bologna and a small carrot with it's rather long stem wrapped around it. I'm no nutritionist, but I'm thinking that's not a real balanced meal....
    Still like the box though. ;)

    ReplyDelete